Friday, January 14, 2011

Broccoli and Red Cabbage: Super Food Spotlight

Oh, broccoli and red cabbage...I hardly knew thee.

I know that you are both healthy and good for us, but research puts you in a super food group that hails you as potent cancer fighters and curers of other ailments, including high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Hmmm...?

Why am I contemplating this on a Friday afternoon, well...I happened to have some broccoli and red cabbage sitting in the fridge and thought it might make good complements to my omelet.


I'm also on a Fitness Challenge with my college friends and mama needs to make up for a little pizza we had last night. Ah hem..

While searching for recipes, I ran across some interesting pages that talked about the cancer fighting and other health benefits of these two fabulous veggies.

According to research broccoli has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-cancer fighting immune boosting properties
and one serving of broccoli gives you 30 mg of vitamin C.   

Red Cabbage is also an amazing veggie that in some studies lowers cholesterol and also has potent cancer fighting properties, especially for bladder, prostate, and colon cancer.

The recipe tips for these two super foods advises to steam, saute, or eat raw.  Boiling breaks down the cancer fighting properties. The more you boil, the more you lose.

I decided to just eat my veggies raw today.  Sort of like an hors d'oeuvres plate of healthy.  It was really yummy and quite the filling side item to go with my omelet.

We often braise red cabbage with honey, olive oil, water, and a little rice wine vinegar.  It is so good and our boys love to eat this trusty cabbage dish.

Here's to super food eating for your family too.  Happy Friday!







No comments: