Friday, August 27, 2010

Back to School-A Place at the Table

Don't we all just want a little place to call our own?   Our own piece of real estate whether it's a house, condo, or breakfast chair?

Yes, breakfast chair.

Apparently even having your own special place to sit in the mornings can make a world of difference in how your day starts off.

With these territorial issues in mind, we have started making a set place for each child the night before at our kitchen island.  We set out the dishes, spoons, cups, and napkins for each boy to have his own place setting instead of the bleary eyed dish shuffle Mommy Bee performed each morning.  Not exactly pretty.

When I taught college it amazed me year after year how quickly the students would stake out their territory in the classroom sitting in the same spot throughout the school year.  These adult students would become almost "toddlerlike" if someone happened to be in their seat that day.  I remember one student saying, "I have to sit there because that's the direction I turn my head to take notes, man.  I won't be able to turn my neck."

Setting a place at the table for each boy in the morning has increased our harmony and productivity in the morning.  Coupled with our Launch Pad our family has cut minutes off our morning routine.

Now, don't get me wrong Captain Wrong Side of the Bed still visits us on occasional mornings, but the boys enjoy coming down the stairs to their breakfast spot.  Their eyes kind of light up seeing their own little place at the table.

No comments: