Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring has Sprung

The first day of spring is perfect.  Beautiful sunshine, blue sky, and did I tell you my daffodils are blooming?  They are truly gorgeous plants that herald the seasonal shift.  Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers.

My affinity for them probably dates back to childhood with memories of daffodils popping up from the ground at our neighbor's house.  Mrs. Boyd had a creek that ran through her property on Pleasant Lane.  She had little bridges...

that went over the water at certain spots along the creek bed.  Little clumps of daffodils would pop up at the entrance to the bridge and I always thought they made a magical sentry.  The daffodils always said spring to me and they smelled divine.  Pure sunshine for the soul...

The Bee Boys are working with us today to build a fence for our garden.  For the past few years our garden has been a wildlife drive through for bunnies and deer to get their grub on by eating our peppers, squash, and beans.  This year we are working to change all that with a fence.  We shall see how the fence building goes, but we are looking forward to having our organic garden back.

Along with dear friend Aneda and family, we also joined a farming coop this year through the fabulous Vollmer Farms.  In April new and different fruits and veggies should be rolling in for us to enjoy and we even have the opportunity to take the Bees to the farm for a workday.  Oh spring, welcome back old friend!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

What a lovely story. I love remembrances and the things that triggers them.

Michelle said...

I hope fence helps... I'd love to see photos of your garden as it takes shape! Happy Spring! :) ♥ Michelle