Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mommy I'm Not Naughty, Just Deaf



Our boys aren't ignoring us, their ear canals are stretched!

It sounds silly, but in the book Raising Boys author Steve Biddulph talks about research that shows when boys are experiencing growth spurts their ear canal stretches, thins, and blocks up, which can cause some degree of hearing loss.

Well that might explain why it seems my boys have to look at me and actually read my lips only after the third time I mention something to them.

In the book Biddulph talks about how the hearing loss is temporary and can affect one boy one month and another boy a different month.

Interesting..

Another fascinating boy fact that explains so much to me about why my 4-year-old boy thinks he could wrestle alligators or beat up any bad guy with a single wallop is....

 a 4-year-old boy has the same testosterone levels as a teenage boy.

Wow, really?

It explains the endearment for ultimate smack down wrestling with his brothers, father, and even an unwilling mommy.

But the author says those testosterone levels chill out around 5 years of age, just in time to sit still and pay attention in school.

The best thing about the book Raising Boys is it gives great perspective on why my three little men do the things they do in what sometimes seems random chaos.

It is all part of this wonderful world of boyhood development.

The book is also a reminder of the importance of encouraging, protecting, and nurturing our boys into becoming the men they will someday turn out to be.




No comments: