Tuesday, February 2, 2010

There's No Business Like Snow Business

A blanket of snow is a nice distraction for a few days. The snow at first is beautiful, looks clean, sparkles, and covers the bald spot in our backyard where little boy feet have played many a soccer game.







We enjoyed our mini-snow storm during the day with sledding, snowman construction, and hot chocolate all around, Silly Cow Farms Hot Chocolate to be exact.  Yum.
We made a dance routine of putting on the DRY long johns, snowsuits, gloves, hat, boots, then take off the WET long johns, snowsuits, gloves, hat, boots...cha, cha, cha...


A wise Mommy friend tells me....


I can burn at least 200 calories with each one of these dress rehearsals.



 So last night, the night before rain was to come and melt our snow, we decided to turn our backyard into a night time ski resort.
http://www.youtube.com/mommymessagetv

With the flood lights turned on and if you squint just enough you can pretend you are vacationing at your favorite ski resort. Aspen, Vail, Whistler...well not really, but the boys sure had fun on our little hill.



The snow reminds me of my own childhood when Dad would pull my brother and I in a sled behind his Wheel Horse lawn tractor. We lived on close to four acres so there was plenty of room for snow frolic, Shelton's pond to pretend ice skate, and a wicked hill on Pleasant Lane to sled down at your own risk.


Snow was a treat, something that might make a winter appearance, or might not.  In my mind snow days are the days I never wanted to end.  They were blissful.

My own busy bees have made deposits in their snow memory banks this week. They have declared the past few days the best of days.

When they grow up I hope they too will remember the bliss and abandon of a snowy winter wonderland.

No comments: